By Nikhil and Sam
A man recently died from heart failure due to his own bad habits. He died of a heart attack brought on by biting his nails.
John Gardener bit his nails regularly but then because of this act he attained an infection which killed him a few days after his 40th birthday. Tragically, the former amateur referee died as he was recovering from an operation, which was to remove a fingertip. The bacteria from his nails had weakened his immune system over time leading to a sudden death.
His mother, Jean Gardener, stated that she could have done more to help her son and his death should be a lesson to us all. Mrs Gardener, 60, said: “It has hit us really hard. I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone else’s son. People should be aware of the potentially fatal results stemming from this habit.”
John was a diabetic who had to battle depression and had a difficult life. His GP, Daniel Vernon mentioned that ‘John’s nails were always in a bad condition.’ He had lost a lot of feeling in his nails and he did not realise how bad the condition of his nails were.
He was sent to Wigan’s infirmary and, at first, he was treated with intravenous antibiotics after he had an operation to remove the tip of his finger. Mr Gardner, who has a prosthetic leg, which he had to get amputated because of his diabetic conditions in 2011, was slowly getting better but died two weeks after being admitted.
The Gardner’s solicitors say ’they are looking too see if Mr Gardner could have been saved. The Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: ‘It is clear from the evidence given at the inquest that Mr Gardener received a high standard of treatment throughout the time he was under our care.’
Maybe you will think twice about biting your nails in future.
Park High School, Thistlecroft Gardens, Stanmore, Middlesex HA7 1PL
Mr Emlyn Lumley
0208 952 2803