In the History department, we have taken the opportunity to develop students understanding of their GCSE course further by beginning the course at Christmas, after having completed a ‘Preparation for GCSE’ course which is designed to get students ready for GCSE
Preparation for GCSE
1. 1920s America- students look at a depth study and learn how to write an essay which covers the whole period.
2. Jack the Ripper- students learn how to look at detailed primary evidence and render judgement upon it.
3. Terrorism- students study Northern Ireland and the 9/11 attacks to combine the skills of looking at evidence and writing essays.
International Relations 1919-39
1. The League of Nations in the 1920s
a. Considering how and why the League was established
2. The League in the Thirties
a. Examining how Hitler took the world to War
3. Controversy- AppeasementLooking at how Historians views of the Appeasement of Hitler have changed over the last 70 years.
International Relations 1945-2001
1. The start of the Cold War
a. Considering the reasons for growing tension between the USA and the USSR.
2. Proxy War
a. Vietnam and the Cuban Missile Crisis
3. Controversy- Blame for the Cold WarAftermath of the Cold War