Skip to content ↓
Park High School

Park High School

Year 10

GCSE courses in Design and Technology

Students studying for a GCSE in Product Design, Textiles Technology or Electronic Products, must complete a single controlled assessment project which is a design, make and evaluate task from a set brief. They then complete a formal written exam at the end of year 11.

Students taking food will be studying for the new GCSE in Food Preparation and nutrition. At the end of year 10 they will be given the briefs for their 2 Non-examined Assessment (NEA) tasks which include a formal practical where they prepare cook and present their final 3 dishes in exam conditions.

Engineering students are taking a double award, with two pieces of controlled assessment to complete; each contributing to a third of to their GCSE Unit 1 is Engineering Design and Graphical Communication task. Unit 2 involves producing an Engineered Product from a set brief. The written examination at the end of the course includes a pre-release material that students.

Exam knowledge and skills are developed throughout year 10 and 11.

Course specification Board Course Code
GCSE D&T: Product Design AQA 4555
GCSE D&T: Food Preparation and Nutrition AQA 8585
GCSE D&T: Electronic Products Edexcel 2EP01
GCSE D&T: Engineering (Double Award)  Edexcel 2EG02 (D)
GCSE D&T: Textiles Technology AQA 4570

Weightings and deadlines

Controlled Assessments in Product Design, Textiles Technology or Electronic Products account for 60% of the marks of the course are started in Year 10. This is completed in December of Year 11 with interim deadlines for the final completion of sections provided by the teacher. The written exam accounts for the remaining 40% of the marks.  This is the same structure for each of these 3 courses.

The new Food Preparation and Nutrition GCSE is 50% written paper and 50% NEA. The NEAs are split into 2: Food Investigation which consists of a written report and pictorial evidence of practical work, this is worth 30% of the NEA mark: Food Preparation which consists of written and pictorial evidence of planning, making and presenting 3 dishes. NEA briefs are supplied by the exam boards in June of year 10.

Engineering students are taking a double award, with two pieces of controlled assessment to complete, each contributing to a third of to their GCSE. They start either Unit 1 or Unit 2 after an initial introduction. Interim deadlines and formal deadlines for each unit are shared with the students. The written examination at the end of the course provides the other third of the marks.

Useful websites / resources

For all D&T subjects:                        

Product Design:         

Revision book available from the D&T office

Food Preparation and Nutrition

Revision books have yet to be released by the exam board. Recommended course book is Food Preparation and Nutrition by Anita Tull and Garry Littlewood. ISBN-13: 978-1-908682

Electronic Products:

Revision book available from the D&T office

Engineering (Double Award):        

Recommended textbook: Nelson Thornes GCSE Engineering Text Book by Neil Godfrey and Steve Wallis   ISBN 0 7487 8551 5    

Textiles Technology:

Recommended textbook:  Textiles Technology: Revision Guide and Textiles Technology: Revision Workbook (Collins GCSE Essentials) ISBN 978-1-9064415-52-5 and ISBN 978-1-90641-553-2

BTEC in Engineering

BTEC First Award

The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/2 First Award in Engineering provides an engaging, robust, broad-based introduction to engineering. It provides underpinning knowledge, understanding and practical skills that reflect the needs of employers and higher and further education. It presents knowledge, skills and understanding in a meaningful work-related context, to allow learners to understand theory and application.

This qualification is intended for level 2 learners with level 1 achievement possible, where appropriate, for some learners.

Assessment and weightings

The grades are Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction, Level 2 Distinction*, Level 1, Unclassified,

There are 4 units in total each worth 25% of the overall mark.

  • Unit 1 and Unit 2 are the core compulsory units.
  • Unit 1 is assessed via an on-line exam.

The other units are optional and all are assessed via course work based evidence. Students should be studying

  • Unit 5: Engineering Materials
  • Unit 6: Computer Aided Engineering

Useful websites / resources                     

BTEC Level 2 First Engineering Student Book by Andrew Boyce

ISBN: 9781846907234

Address Park High School, Thistlecroft Gardens, Stanmore, Middlesex HA7 1PL

Headteacher Mr Emlyn Lumley

Phone 0208 952 2803

  • National Teaching Schools
  • Youth Sport Trust
  • Healthy Schools
  • Arts Council
  • Ofsted